Monday, November 24, 2008

Update on the B*** Job



Thanks to all of you who've reached out to me during all of this breastfeeding hoopla. I thought I'd post an update and also some new pics of Elizabeth.

Things continue to go up and down with the feedings. But I feel like, overall, the line has a positive slope. Having her sleep upright seems to be working well. She, dare I say it, has even slept through the night a few times. I'm still off dairy, though I have my doubts about its effectiveness. And we're keeping up with the Zantac, though it constipates the poor thing. On a positive note, Elizabeth has now successfully taken a bottle and, in fact, we're alternating feedings between bottles and breast to help her with her "pacing," as my lactation consultant put it. Sometimes I don't understand what she's talking about (and I do ask!) but I just keep going with it. I've also discovered the joys of nursing lying down. Though I still can't do it on my side, Elizabeth does pretty well with me on my back and her on my stomach. It keeps me relaxed and her too. Sometimes a little too relaxed—she's always falling asleep. But life goes on. Some days she eats well, others she doesn't. Some days I handle it well, others I don't. But she's healthy, I'm healthy, and life is good and that's what I have to keep focusing on. My LC did say, when I asked if I was making too big a deal of things, "Wellllllll...I don't think that things were as bad as you thought they were. But there's nothing wrong with wanting to help your baby be as happy as possible." Very dipolmatic. In fact, as I've discussed my issues with other moms, I find that the situation could be MUCH MUCH worse. So thank you to everyone for your support. I'll still be checking her weight every week. But I think it's time to accept things as they are and move on.

In other news, Elizabeth seems to enjoy bubble baths and didn't cry at all last night. Here's proof:
We're pretty much in love with this kid. Adam keeps taking pictures of her, like every night. This is my favorite so far:
I think she's deciding if she wants to cry or pass gas. Or maybe both.

I also love this picture. I unwrapped her swaddle one day when I thought she'd slept too long. (I know, I know. Never wake a sleeping baby. I'm a new mom; I'm allowed to be a little anal.) Anyways, this was the position I found her in:

All of a sudden, I could picture her in the womb—inside me. She was inside me? Wow.

P.S. At her weight check a week after we met with the lactation consultant, she had gained 10 oz! For a grand total of 8 lbs. 8 oz. Go Elizabeth!

9 comments:

Alison + Brandon said...

I think pictures of babies being bathed in the sink are the cutest ever. Just thought you should know.

Melanie said...

She's so beautiful! My goodness Em, you've really been through so much! I'm sorry it's been so hard, but it's incredible how fast it goes. When it's so hard like that, it seems so long but before you know it she'll be drinking cow's milk from a cup and feeding herself!! That's the milestone I look forward to most. She's so precious and you're doing a great job.

Deja said...

Wow she is beautiful. Nice work with the feeding. I had no idea it could be so hard. (And apparently it can be harder?!)

Annie said...

I'm glad that you can be honest about your whole experience. It is good prep for those of us who haven't gotten to that point yet. Elizabeth is really beautiful and I hope things continue to get better...until she's 16 and wants to pierce her belly button. ;) just kidding.

Marsie Pants said...

She is so cute!! Way to go with the feeding. When Abby was born, I told everyone that as long as she ate well, I didn't care what else I had to deal with. From what I've seen in my line of work, that is the most frustrating issue ever. Ever!! So way to go, hanging in there! And I always woke Abby up to eat. I was never a believer of the whole never wake a sleeping baby thing. :-)

GR82BAMOM said...

Can't help but say it again, and I'm sure you don't get tired of hearing it: She's such a cutie!!Good job on figuring out the whole feeding thing. I knew you could do it. Remember, never underestimate your own mother's instinct.

Lizzie Jones said...

That last picture just takes the cake. What a beautiful baby.

Nat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

I laughed when I read your "Never Wake a Sleeping baby." We spent Lydia's whole 1st month trying to wake her up. She was always sleeping when she wasn't supposed to and and vice versa. Thank you for more pictures! I could look at those all the time. She is adorable!