Tuesday, November 4, 2008

And Life Goes On

Well it's Day 2 of Real Life. Adam is back at work, all our visitors have come and gone, and Baby Elizabeth and I are adjusting to each other and life at home. And I have a sneaking suspicion we have it pretty easy. All last week, I rode an emotional rollercoaster that would go up when Elizabeth had a good feeding, and WAY WAY down when she would fuss and only eat 5 minutes at a time. I was convinced she was going to die. So yesterday, in my new mom madness, I went with my best Brooklyn bud to the post office to weigh Elizabeth on the self-serve scale. (Once in car seat, once just car seat, then subtract. Thank you, Sister Nay.) At her appointment last Wednesday, she'd gained a whopping 11 oz. But her next appointment wasn't for two months and here I was, wondering if she was going to wither away b/c she didn't seem to be eating enough. But, of course, the scale proved otherwise (as the wet and poopy diapers should have, too): she's gained another 7 ounces. Oh, the relief! I burst into tears. But the rest of the day was really calm and things are starting to feel a little more normal. And, not to jinx ourselves, but she so far has been sleeping really, I mean really well at night. I'll feed her between 9 and 11 PM, she'll go down fine. Wake up anywhere from 2 to 4 AM, feeds again, then is down until it's time for Adam to get up for work. Normal? Healthy? I'll be asking the pediatrician today when I call with my huge list of questions. But for now, we're not complaining.

Here are some pics from Grandma Davis' visit. Thanks, Mom, for everything!
At Green-Wood Cemetery. What a place to take a newborn, huh?

In Sunset Park

Adam's parents also came to visit, but unfortunately we don't have any pictures of them just yet. Adam blessed Elizabeth at church and this is us after we got home. Do I look as exhausted as I felt?

He did a wonderful job and I cried the whole way through. Adam's family also brought the crib his dad made us, which is absolutely beautiful. When everything's set up in the nursery, we'll post more pictures. Until then, enjoy this picture of Elizabeth, where she's making my favorite face: "Oh boy! Time to eat!"



7 comments:

Melanie said...

I know what you mean w/ the whole weight gaining thing. My doctor told me to stand on the scale w/ the baby and then w/o the baby and subtract. I didn't know that trick til my third but it sure is useful. She's so pretty and she's a lucky little baby to have you as a mom.

Marsie Pants said...

She's soooo cute and you look terrific! I bet you're having tons of fun with her!

Alison + Brandon said...

I love that you weighed her at the post office! Totally cute. And you look gorgeous (NOT exhausted) in the picture after the blessing.

cherry said...

what a smart way to weigh babies ha, you don't only get to monitor your baby's weight..also your weight...hahaha..how's that?

well, that is actually the easiest/most accurate way of weighing babies...

it was nice seeing you and the baby last sunday...Geri was excited too!And oh by the way, i read your story of the "labor and delivery" stage of pregnancy..i feel for you...esp. that part when i also had to scream because of labor pain and i didn't care at all about the people around me...

It was very brave, strong and selfless of you anyway...you still thought of supporting the girls the night before you gave birth--accompanying them to the city for the Stakewide youth gathering-- even if i'm sure you weren't feeling well anymore. Thanks a lot Em--it means a lot to me.

Take care!

Lindsay said...

Hooray for thriving babies and post office scales that can put your mind at ease! :)

Anonymous said...

We were so sad to miss her blessing. The trains were ALL messed up, we had to take a shuttle bus and we stood in the wrong place waiting for it, etc. etc. I'm so glad all is going well!

Deja said...

You look WONDERFUL. I mean, baby is cute, too. But kudos for looking like such a supermodel with a brand new baby.

Good luck with the adjusting. It sounds like it's going swimmingly.