Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quick Update

So I don't have to actually stick myself twice a day. Whew!

I'm receiving medicine from a pump that's hooked into my thigh. The medicine is supposed to lessen contractions. Grabbing a handful of fat and ramming that needle into my thigh was one of the scariest things I've ever done. I was totally crying. But guess what? It didn't hurt. Just like they said. I only have to do that every five days. And the nurse was really nice and said something like, "I've been a nurse for 20 years and I would still be hesitant to give myself an injection." So that made me feel a little less wussy.

I'm also supposed to monitor myself on this home uterine monitor-thing. Twice a day I strap this belt to my belly and have to lie still for an hour while it counts my contractions. And let me tell you, towards the end of the hour I want to rip the belt off and run screaming out the door. Actually, running screaming out the door is something I fantasize about often.

Aunt Kim has gone home and my Mom is on her way. I think these next few weeks are going to take all the mental and emotional toughness I have.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

So this is the first time I've checked your site in awhile... sorry. I'm also typing one-handed due to the sweet doll asleep in my other arm and totally spoiled already into thinking she gets to be held every second. Hang in there Emily. It sounds like you are physically the bomb of a mom! When are they anticipating the babies will be here. I know they are trying to hold it off as long as possible. Do they have any guesses?

Stacy said...

Sounds tough! I would freak if I had to stab a needle into myself. I had to carry an epi pen around with me for a while at one point, and I always felt I would have to be fairly close to death to stab it into myself. Anyway, can you read with that monitor thing on? Or do anything??? Good luck, dearie. I think you are very brave.

Anonymous said...

Emily, you and Adam are in our prayers. I wish I could come out and help, but with your mom there things will be good. We do look forward to coming. Its a sure thing now, we'll just wait to get the okay from you and Adam for when. Love you guys so much!!! Sara N Jason

Lindsay said...

You know, in theory bed rest is awesome. Spa-like, even. In reality -- and especially when pregnancy is the reason for the bed rest -- it is boring and way uncomfortable. Hang in there.

GR82BAMOM said...

You are on brave and strong woman. You're almost there! Soon, you will have them in your arms.