Thursday, May 7, 2009

Success!

This

Plus this
Equals this:


I don't normally post recipes, but I had to post about this. A while back, my friend gave me a recipe for fish tacos. Tilapia sauted in butter and garlic, served on corn tortillas with cabbage, tomatoes, cilantro, and tartar sauce. They were good. But not the mouth-watering fish tacos that Adam remembered from his trip to San Diego years ago. So this time around, I looked on allrecipes.com, my new favorite website, and found the most amazing recipe for fish tacos. I didn't want to go through the trouble of breading and frying my fish, so I still sauted it butter and garlic, but also added the following:

1/3 c. lime juice
2 T. honey
1 T. vegetable oil
1 t. cumin

If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have marinated it in that, too. I had about a pound of fish and there was more than enough marinade.

Then, instead of tartar sauce, I made this "fish sauce":

1/2 c. mayo
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1 T. adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle chilies.)
1/4 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper

Blend everything in a food processor or blender and spread on warm corn tortillas (before adding the fish and stuff.)

The results were "mighty scrumptious," to quote Adam. He and I both agreed this was one of my all-time best dinners ever. The fish sauce has a kick so if you don't like spicy, I would omit the cayenne pepper and maybe just use one chili. But WOW WOW WOW!. It was like an explosion of taste, like on Ratatouille. Little fireworks of goodness going off in our mouths.

4 comments:

Marsie Pants said...

I just discovered Adobo sauce too. For my Cafe Rio Pork Salad Clone. And I LOVE allrecipes! I use it all the time! I'll have to make these for my Adam some day. Thanks!

Emily said...

Cafe Rio Pork Salad Clone? Please share! Pretty please!!

Lindsay said...

I'm excited to try this! The fish taco recipe I gave you was just my weak attempt to recreate some awesome restaurant fish tacos I love. They were a start, but obviously they needed some work. Thanks for taking the recipe further.

Robyn said...

I'm totally going to try that.
Adobo sauce reminds me of Rex.