Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Hey, It's Free

My friend recently did a post on cutting her husband's hair for the first time, which inspired me to do a quick post about cutting Adam's hair, which I've done since we were first married. Adam learned to cut his own hair on his mission from a companion. His mom, a licensed beautician herself, gave him a set of buzz clippers and nice pair of shears for his birthday. So when we were newlyweds, he said he wanted to teach me his "technique." I was so nervous and I still am sometimes. But I have to say, if I do say so myself, I've gotten pretty good at "The Adam."

I've even gotten the fading down to an art, though I've had plenty of mishaps. In fact, Adam was even used as a model for an ad for the BYU Barbershop back when he worked for Creative Marketing at the Y. And who cut his hair? It wasn't a barber, that's for sure. (Yes, my friends, that was false advertising. At The Lord's University.) I still sometimes mumble "oops" and the back of his neck is often a little asymmetrical, but I'm proud of my new skill and happy that we don't have to pay anyone to do something we can do ourselves. So, if we have any boys, (which Adam thinks we won't on account that he wants a family full of Elizabeths) they'll all have cuts like Daddy.

P.S. I couldn't find the barbershop ad, but here's another one Adam got suckered into posing for. That hair is long!

12 comments:

Keith said...

I've seen the ad you're talking about! I almost took a picture to send to you, but I figured you'd already know if your husband was being used to market campus services. You should get a copy, though, to show posterity, because that is hilarious.

Erika Hill said...

I cut Brent's hair too! I had "the Brent" down pretty good, but then he decided he wanted to start wearing it longer, and now I don't really know what to do with it. Right now our solution is to just keep letting it grow...

vdg family said...

I cut W and R's hair too! Haircutters--unite!

:D

Joshua said...

I often reflect on the hundreds of dollars—maybe even thousands—I've saved since I've been cutting my own hair since I was about 15. Unfortunately, there isn't as much to cut as there was back then. Oh how I miss my hair. I also miss having my hair shampooed and my head massaged by a beautiful woman. Oh, and how my hair always smelled like I could eat it. Back then I don't think apple & other fruit fragrances were as commonplace as they are amongst today's contemporary shampoos. *sigh*

P.S. I'm sorry God for hating my red hair when I was younger. Is that why you've taken it from me?

Deja said...

Bravo!

I've offered and offered to cut Sam's hair, but he's less than enthused. Maybe it's a Mormon thing?

But he hates every professional cut he gets, so maybe someday he'll break down and let me give it a try. It sounds scary, but thrilling.

Unknown said...

"The Adam" is a far better job than I have ever done for him. You have mastered your talent well. A family of all Elizabeths would be great but I'm hoping Adam gets an Adam just like him. If the world could take that.

Melanie said...

Wow, so they used YOUR haircut to advertise for their barber huh? Maybe you should open a salon or at least get a percentage from the guys using your haircut to attract customers. It does look really good.

adam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Deja, I've found that cutting your husband's hair can . . . bring you closer together. Think Untamed Heart. ;)

Koa Mom said...

Hey Emily! Elizabeth is soooo cute!!! Too bad we didn't stick around long enough to meet her. I also cut Chris's hair. I've been cutting it since we were dating. It's funny how we all cut our husband's hair.

Lindsay said...

I can't cut hair. How much would you charge to trim my boys' hair? :)

The Brees said...

Emily, I cut Joel and Damon's hair. It used to scare Joel (I think I said oops a lot, and he says I used to wave the scissors in front of his eyes).

My family still cuts each other's hair. Growing up, my dad referred to it in years of college tuition paid for--3-6 haircuts a year x 13 people is a lot of college tuition.

Gold star on a new skill mastered, with advertising photos to prove it!