Monday, September 20, 2010

Two Weeks

C, E, and L

Hard to believe. It's been the longest two weeks of my life, that's for sure. Round the clock feedings, near-comatose preemies, and a very excited but very volatile big sister make for some crazy times. But our stress level was significantly reduced when we took them for their weight check on Friday and found out that they all have gained plenty of weight, even Eddie. The doctor says he's in the clear and, though we still feed him more frequently than the other two, he's progressing well and eating at least 2 oz each feeding. HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF!! Charlie is over 6 lbs in fact and he and Lucy have exceeded their birth weight.



Our good friend, M, came by one day to take Elizabeth with her and her son to the playground and brought this double-stroller, which she said she was throwing away. I quickly asked if we could have it and she graciously agreed. This is a picture of our first ever excursion. We walked around the block. It was liberating.

Super G-Ma. Adam and I left three sleeping babies for just 45 min and came back to this.

My mom left on Saturday. That was a very hard goodbye. Things have been up and down since. I felt pretty good over the weekend. We managed at night with just the two of us, mostly because Adam kindly fed two babies and I just nursed one. And we had a lot of help on Saturday. But this morning a heavy fog of depression seemed to settle down on me. It's lifted somewhat as the day has gone on, but it varies according to how well feeding, especially nursing, goes. This morning, I couldn't bring myself to face any of it. I had no patience for Elizabeth. I let Adam do everything. I just didn't care. It's hard to feel a deep, bonding love for three newborns at once. At least, it's been hard for me. I never feel like I'm giving enough, and yet I don't know how I can give more and stay alive. For the moment, at least, I'm stable. I hope it lasts.


Charlie, our first-born, was the first to loose his umbilical cord and therefore got to have his first bath. You can't tell by the picture but he liked it. He's a snuggler. He sleeps a lot better being held. But he's also a pain to change his diaper b/c he ALWAYS pees. This is a new thing for me, projectile urination. Lucy is easy-going. She sleeps well and eats well, from a bottle. But she spits up a ton so we put her to bed in her car seat. And Eddie is Eddie. He's just happy to be here. And he's eating more each day. They all are. They still take a lot of attention to feed and I'm just waiting for the day when I can pop a bottle in each mouth and they can do their thing. But until then, I better sign off and get some rest before the next one has to eat.

10 comments:

Whitney said...

Thank you for taking time to update us. They are precious. Hopefully you'll have a little more help this week. You guys are in our prayers always.

Annie said...

Feeding is exhausting and stressful with just one baby! You have every right to feel totally exhausted with three! What a huge success, though, that they are progressing and thriving! You really do just have to take it one day--or one hour--at a time. Give what you can and that is the best you can do--and it will be enough! You are so strong and the babies are beautiful!

Proud Gma said...

I was honored to be there. What an amazing experience. Please ask your amazing ward for more help - this is no time to stand on pride. You can't do it all, so why try? No one could. Hang tough - Dad is coming!

Rosalee said...

Hang in there. You're in my prayers. They are just precious!

Sarah said...

oops, I accidently left my comment on the post below. See that post.

Marsie Pants said...

They are beautiful and that picture with Grandma is awesome. Way to go, Em, way to go. I'm in awe of you.

Lindsay said...

Hang in there, Emily. You have an army of people at the ready, loving and supporting you. You are not doing any of this alone. (I'll be over Wednesday night!)

Kristin said...

I'm teary-eyed. And in awe of your updating. Get as much rest as you can, eat well, and cry when you must. Sending warm wishes your way (and some sweet stuff, too!).

Deja said...

Oh wow. I am just in awe of this adventure you're on. When I saw you had posted and opened your blog, I unconsciously clasped my hands up to my chest in excitement and overflowing love for you guys. Hang in there. Please, please let me know if I can send something that would be useful. You are so cool.

Debbie said...

I can't imagine all the complexities of triplets, but just that pic of your mom feels overwhelming! Way to be an awesome mom!