Wednesday, March 2, 2011

This Is Just a Tribute

This was how it all started. The babies' bout with bronchiolitis pushed me so close to the edge that I knew something had to change. The idea of staying with my in-laws had been raised before, but I'd always dismissed it because I didn't think they'd have room for all of us. I even started to check out rentals near their house, but the thought of doing it on my own, even with help nearby, was horrific. But one Sunday morning, the idea got into my head and I just couldn't get it out. I remember picturing myself there, in their house in Mexico, sitting at the table, playing games or talking, and just feeling safe. We called Adam's mom, got the big OK from her, prayed about it, and decided I would leave at the end of the week. In fact, I would say I was pretty much impelled by the Spirit to go. The message was loud and clear.

Baby Play Time!

Adam's family welcomed us with, literally, open arms, taking turns feeding, changing, rocking, and playing with the babies. They also pitched in with caring for Elizabeth. Every night, during the babies' fussiest time after their last nap and before their nighttime bottle, Adam's mom would get Elizabeth's dinner ready, while the girls and Jack would hold whiny babies. After Elizabeth was done eating, the babies would be fed, changed, put in pajamas, sung to and put off to bed, while I got Elizabeth in her pj's, teeth brushed and story read. We'd chat with Adam on the computer, sing primary songs, then wait while Elizabeth gave hugs, kisses, and ugahmugahs (eskimo kisses) to each person, one by one. Besides missing Daddy terribly, I think she was in heaven.

Grandma and Elizabeth

The true hero in all of this was Adam's mom, Margaret. She got up every stinking night to feed babies. Sometimes, I would feed the first, then go back up to my room (Did I say MY room? I mean HER room that she and Jack gave up all to me.) I would crash so hard, and she would be so quick to get the other two, that I wouldn't wake up again until the morning, feeling terribly guilty but oh so rested.

Being at Grandma's means having LOTS of treats :)

Having so many helping hands gave me a chance to not only rest, but also do a lot of reading (Hello, Hunger Games!), cook dinner, even go on dates with Adam, who would come up every other weekend on the bus. The most memorable date we got to go on was the Sweetheart Dance their stake had for Valentine's Day. We were one of just a handful of couples who hit the dance floor, but we didn't let that stop us from thoroughly enjoying ourselves. There even was a photographer there taking pictures of each couple in front of a red and pink backdrop. We wanted to do a crazy pose, but before we could try, the lady made Adam straddle a bench, put me in front of him, legs together and torso turned to the camera and Adam's arms around my waist. I felt like I was in a glamor shots by Deb shoot. So we just tried to look as awkward as we possibly could when she said, "Smile!" To my eternal dismay, we never got the picture back. They handed everyone else a picture. But not us. Maybe we should have taken it more seriously . . .

Grandpa and Charlie

While we were there, we made some discoveries:

Eddie sucks his thumb!

Elizabeth still fits in the kitchen sink!

I have the cutest babies ever! (Okay, so that one we already knew.)


It snows a whole lot in Central New York!


Really! A lot!


I'm not kidding. A LOT!


Oh, and apparently, Eddie is tasty.


The best part of the trip, for me, was spending so much time with my family. Any "in-law" barriers between Margaret and me were totally smashed to bits. (How much dignity can you preserve when it's after midnight and you toss a screaming baby at your MIL and shout "Take him before I kill him!"?) My sisters and I bonded over vampires (and their diaries) and teasing "Uncle Matt," and Jack and I watched way, WAY too many episodes of Hitchcock Presents. I won't lie and say it was all fun all the time; I missed Adam a lot and by the time it ended I was ready to be back in my own space. But I can never repay the gift the Giovo's gave me: SANITY!

Great-Grandma and Eddie

P.S. The best part of the trip, part 2? Getting the babies on a sleep schedule and only waking once at night. Thanks, Margaret!!

4 comments:

Annie said...

I feel relieved just reading that post. I'm so glad you got a break! That is why family is so important! I love seeing the babies.

Whitney said...

Your babies are just so adorable. And I love Lucy's jeans and argyle sweater. Presh.

Joshua said...

What a wonderful update! Thank God for family. Loved every detail!

Scott and Katy Adams said...

I am so happy for you! My in laws have been my life savers a couple times. I am glad things are going well! I was wondering about you last night.