Sunday, May 16, 2010

Ch-Ch-Change . . .

This was a rather momentous week for the Johnson family.

This time last week, we still hadn't found a new apartment, though we had gone to a broker who had shown us a few. Then, on Monday, we got word that the landlord, whom we had met, had liked us and was willing to come down in the price. Adam was sold. I still wasn't convinced. The apartment was on the second floor, for one, and the kitchen was smaller (and uglier) than I'd hoped for. But the building was clean, the landlord lived on the premises, and our broker said we could probably store the stroller on the first floor. So we had just a few days to make our decision. I tried to set something up with another broker to see more apartments—just to satisfy myself that we weren't "settling"—but it never worked out. After a few very stressful days, I got so sick of going back and forth over it with Adam that I finally said I wanted to take it. I think what I actually said was "NYAAAAAAAAAAA!"

So Saturday we signed the lease and on June 1st or thereabouts, we will live here:


Adam and I will finally have a room of our own and we'll live in walking distance of a lot of our friends. (Read: close to the people we'll be asking to help with the triplets :) We didn't relish forking over a month's worth of rent as a broker fee, but, by george, I'm glad the search is over!

Another big blessing came when Adam got the word that his submission had been selected for AIGA'a 50 Books/50 Covers. (For those of us NOT in the design world, AIGA is the foremost professional association for design.) So out of the 800+ submissions, Adam's "Classic Shorts" series was in the top 50.

Classic Shorts

Adam's work will be featured in their annual, be archived online, and will be on display this fall at an exhibition here in New York. Go Adam!

As if all this weren't enough, Adam got an email Friday from a member of the stake presidency asking to meet with both of us Saturday morning. Knowing that our current bishop is moving soon, and that a new bishop had more than likely already been called, we could only conclude what inevitably happened: Adam is now a second counselor in the bishopric and, what's more, a high priest! (Again, for the uninitiated, most men in the church who reach the level of high priest are usually . . . past the bloom of youth. And don't think of it as a promotion. It's more of a place we send the gray-hairs when they're not young enough anymore to help members move but old enough to be our wise leaders. Just kidding.) The best part is that the new bishop is already our good friend. But I think the combined age of the entire bishopric is still less than the age of your average Utah stake president. Not that this is a big change. Our wonderful former bishop has a young family, too. So I guess that's just how things work here in good ol' Brooklyn. All joking aside, I'm really proud of Adam and his willingness to serve the Lord, despite all the challenges that lie ahead of us. I know he'll do a wonderful job cuz he's just that kind of guy.

Oh, and I'm 20 weeks now (4 1/2 months.) I've gained 35 lbs (right on track, according to my book,) and the triplets are growing well. So all in all, we have a lot to be grateful for, even amongst all this change.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Congrats on the house! And good for Adam for his designs and for being in the bishopbric! You guys are guaranteed blessings now!

Marsie Pants said...

Wow, that's great! Go Adam and go you!! And go triplets! My Adam was made a HP when he was 23 and now he's HP group leader in our ward. It's kinda weird.

GR82BAMOM said...

I think you will be moving into the neighborhood the very same day we are moving out of it. Too bad. We are glad though that you guys found a place near to your closest friends. This will be great for when the triplets arrive!

Congratulations again to Adam. We know he will be great!

vdg family said...

We're soooo glad you are moving close to us!!! Congrats on Adam's designs. modern and elegantly fitting for the titles. :D Adam will be marvelous in the bishopric!

Debbie said...

SO Emily, I hope you don't mind me checking in on you, but boy I am so amazed at you guys dealing with so much. Triplets, and everything else!? I really hope everything goes great with that huge change. I've been thinking about you, that must be so hard to get a handle on, at least it'd be for me. your strength and faith are pretty obvious, so you'll always be able to make it through:) even if its awful at times. Anyway, congrats on having our own room, and Adam's design honors, yeah!!

RJ said...

Your blog keeps making me shout exclamations to davey like, "HOLY HECK!".

Sure do love ya guys, my prayers are with you!!!! :)

Melanie said...

You guys amaze me. Thanks for the update. I love hearing how you guys are doing. Congrats to Adam for the awesome design and new crazy calling. I know a lot of young families who's husbands are in then bishopric and the only thing they say is how blessed their family is for the huge sacrifice that it is. You guys are amazing for taking all this on.