Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Autumn in the Cemetery


Sunday was a clear, bright October day here in Brooklyn. One of our favorite haunts (pun intended) is the Green-wood Cemetery. Adam thought it was rather morbid to let Elizabeth scamper about among the gravestones. But I take grass where I can get it. Besides, if I were dead and buried, I'd want children to play on my grave. Is that morbid?

So creepy or cute: you decide. At any rate, we all had fun.




"I'm not scared."


I think she smells the funk of fourty-thousand years.




Looking at the ducks and geese.

"But I want to go IN the pond, Daddy!"


6 comments:

Unknown said...

creepy. And weird. There are PARKS. :)

Marsie Pants said...

I love it. In fact, it makes me want to take my kids to a cemetery and romp amongst the gravestones.

Erika Hill said...

Brent and I have had a goal of going to the Salt Lake cemetery ever since we got married, it just hasn't happened yet.

This reminds me of The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimon. Have you read it? It won the Newberry this year, and is sort of like The Jungle Book in a graveyard. It's a fun read, and makes it seem completely appropriate for a child to play in a graveyard. :)

Lindsay said...

You are not morbid. :) Green-Wood is a beautiful cemetery. I was just thinking the other day about the time, last year, when the ghost of Horace Greeley pushed Garrett's stroller down the hill. Ha! Good, spooky times! :)

Melanie said...

Totally not creepy. Okay maybe just slightly. Festive for Halloween though. Cute post and the pictures are darling.

the jensen's said...

I still want to go to the cemetery with you. I love cemeteries. And the Greenwood one looks beautiful, from what I've seen when I drive by. Does that officially make me weird?