Monday, June 8, 2009

I Got All of Them Cut

A few weeks ago, I decided that my bangs had gotten way too long and needed a trim. "How hard can it be?" I thought to myself. And with those famous last words, I hacked away at my fringe. The results were not pretty. And it was two days before the ward talent show. I ended up getting it "fixed" by getting my hair cut short. I have always wanted to try a short bob or something like that, and I figured this was my chance. Unfortunately, I didn't bring in a picture of what I wanted, and when I did point to one I liked in the book at the salon, the stylist said she'd recommend shorter layers on top to blend the inordinate amount of hair I'd mistaken for bangs and cut away. She styled it with lots of mousse and pomade. I lied and told her I liked it. (Who doesn't?) And I walked out of there feeling like a cross between a middle-aged Relief Society president and an Italian Brooklyn mom.

I liked that it was short, though, until Adam got home and looked so crestfallen when he saw what I'd done. ("Jo! Your one beauty!"*) and I even shed a few tears when I was washing it the next day and my fingers kept grasping at hair that wasn't there.

I have since tried different ways of styling it, but I haven't found my groove yet. I guess it will just take time to get used to. Here are some pictures:

The bad bang job.

After the salon.

My attempt at styling it the next day.

Me performing with Adam at the talent show. My hair looked its best that night. Haven't been able to replicate it, though.

Moral of the story? Don't trim your own bangs. Or at least don't hack off inches at a time, thinking that's what you really want your bangs to look like. And don't go to the salon without a picture and the guts to say what you really want.

*Little Women quote. Adam doesn't call me Jo.

7 comments:

Deja said...

I looovvvveeeee it. Strut it, girl. It looks dang good--in all the pictures, I think.

And I can't believe we were at the Palmyra temple on the same day. What are the odds?! Too bad we didn't cross paths.

vdg family said...

It is lovely! You looks so hip! :D

Proud Gma said...

I went to a RS Homemaking night - back when they still had them - and went to a class on what I thought would be how to cut boy's hair. It turned out to be a makeover night, done by a professional. He picked me - I needed it the most, I guess. When he was done, I went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror and screamed - I was looking at my mother! So Em, sorry to say it, but you remind me of myself on that night, looking like grandma.

Debbie said...

I hate getting haircuts!!! I've never had one I liked yet, and I totally lie every time. (Sure sure, i love it, just don't cut any more!)
your little women quote made me laugh. I just had a similarly harrowing experience at a salon... gotta bring a pic! You can pull off that haircut though!

the jensen's said...

Us and our rotten haircut stories...this is what we get for being so brave?! Man. Yours looks great though and like it would be really easy to deal with everyday. At least you're not a triangle head like me. I don't think it helped that I brought a picture with me, but I shudder to think what I could have looked like without one...hmmm

Robyn said...

I love the picture from the Talent show! You can definitely pull off a short style.
My worst hairstyle was also the shortest and most expensive--This guys razored my very fine hair and cut it very short. I felt like I aged 15 years.

Marshall said...

Simple solution: Walk back into the salon with a photograph of Pat Benetar cerca 1981. Walk out about 30 minutes later and beat up the first person you see. You will feel alive and will never change hairstyles again.