Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Duty, done


So I was on Grand Jury duty in Brooklyn for the past two weeks. Unlike a trial jury that hears one case, we heard 35 cases and decided whether to indict (true bill) or to dismiss (no true bill). It was an interesting experience. Here is a list of a few things I learned:

(1) Where not to go in Brooklyn
(2) Most crimes happen at night
(3) Drugs aren't that expensive
(4) Cell phones are hot items to steal
(5) Grand Jury Duty=lots of reading time (read three books)
(6) I'm proud to be a Brooklynite (based on my fellow jurors)
(7) Brooklyn is quite diverse (and Russians are nice)

All in all it was a good experience. Heard a few terrible crimes though. I was also able to share some of my beliefs with a few people on the jury along with a Book of Mormon. I kinda think Grand Jury duty is a waste of our time if, like in other states, a judge can just do what we did. They let me go free for ten more years in NY State.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, sounds like a productive two weeks. I always think of Jury Duty as being such a hassle to be avoided if possible but you make it sound kind of cool.

Lindsay said...

Is it weird to be a bit jealous? I got called up for jury duty a few months ago but because I didn't have anyone to care for Garrett, had to get exempted. Sigh. It would have been awesome to serve in Brooklyn, too. Maybe someday.

Sarah said...

Good job, Adam. Way to do your duty. I used to think it would be cool to serve on a jury. Now, not so much. I don't want to have judge anyone I don't have to. Another reason I'm glad not to ever have to be a Bishop.